Sugar cookies are yummy by themselves. But keto KEY LIME sugar cookies? That brings delicious keto treat to an entirely new level!
Join the Facebook Keto Recipe and Support Group
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclaimer.
Key Lime Sugar Cookies
I am on a key lime kick this past week! I made a key lime pie for my membership group, a key lime matcha bars recipe, and this key lime sugar cookies recipe!
And the funny thing is that I am not a big citrus person! Maybe it was because my kids kept asking me to make a key lime pie!
These low carb key lime sugar cookies are light and tangy with a hint of key lime. It is not overpowering, but subtle.
Are Limes Keto Friendly?
Certainly! This recipe only uses 1 tablespoon of lime juice as well as some lime zest which is minimal.
Limes are all different sizes, but the juice from one medium lime is about 3.5g carbs. We are only using a small portion of this!
Do I Have to Use Key Limes?
No, you do not. The minimal amount of lime juice in these keto key lime sugar cookies is so minimal that you can use either regular lime juice or key lime juice.
Key limes are so tiny that they are super hard to get a ton of juice from. Luckily we only need a small amount. So, in this recipe, I would suggest using key limes if you can! But you certainly don’t need to.
How Do I Make Keto Key Lime Cookies?
Believe it or not, these are super simple to make!
You mix all the dry ingredients into a medium bowl along with the butter and combine well.
Now, normally you use room temperature, completely soft butter. With this recipe, I like the butter to be soft, yet still cold. After mixing, it will be clumpy and crumbly if your butter was cool – that is the perfect consistency.
Then you add the remaining ingredients and mix it up!
Sometimes dough can be sticky and so putting it in the fridge 5-10 minutes can help! I did not need to do that, but it is an option in case you do!
Roll up some 1 inch balls and start baking!
You’ll need to lightly press the balls down to form a flat top. You can either do it before baking, or after a few minutes in the oven. I personally like to do it after baking for a few minutes because it produces a cracked cookie like shown below!
If you press it down before baking, they will be smoother. Your choice!
Now, you bake them for about 14 minutes and let them cool!
They taste amazing as is, but you can also add the optional frosting! The frosting is simply a combination of powdered sweetener, lime juice and unsweetened almond milk. You can control the consistency by how much almond milk you add.
Frost the cookies and then sprinkle with some more lime zest!
How Do I Store Key Lime Cookies?
These can last up to a week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge! I left them on the counter for a few days, but I think the fridge is a better choice to ensure they stay as fresh as possible!
Other Cookie Recipes You Might Like
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup keto sweetener (I use Lakanto monkfruit)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened but still cool
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- 8 drops liquid stevia
- 1/4 cup powdered keto sweetener (I use Lakanto monkfruit)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with your favorite oil (I use coconut oil).
- In a medium bowl, add almond flour, monkfruit, baking powder, salt and butter. Beat the mixture until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat until nicely mixed.
- If the dough is too sticky, you can refrigerate it for 5-10 minutes.
- Roll smaller 1-1.5 inch balls and place on the baking sheet. Slightly press balls down to make the tops flat.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until done.
- Set aside to let cool
- In a small bowl, mix monkfruit and lime juice. Start with 1 teaspoon of almond milk and slowly add more until you get the right consistency.
- Frost cooled cookies and top with lime zest if desired!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 74Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutrition is calculated using a third party plug-in. It is best to always validate!